Cagayan townsfolk up in arms vs Ceza casinos
SANTA ANA, Cagayan–Officials and residents of this coastal town on Friday aired their protest against the alleged environmental destruction cause by the unregulated operations of online casinos within the Cagayan Special Economic Zone and Freeport here.
In a public dialogue, they assailed the supposed failure of the Cagayan Economic Zone Authority (Ceza) to check on the alleged illegal dumping of garbage and sewage water from two casino complexes, which, they said, has been polluting the town’s surrounding water bodies.
“The people of Santa Ana have long complained about these problems but our calls have not been heeded. It is painful for us to see that these things are happening because this is not what we envisioned (the freeport zone) to be,” said former town councilor Jomar Castillo. Continue reading
Traders in P24-M N. Vizcaya ‘cement scam’ missing
BAGABAG, Nueva Vizcaya–The owners of a company linked to the controversial P23-million “cement scam” here have gone missing and have shut down their multi-million businesses, raising panic among their creditors from all over northern Luzon.
Spouses Herminio and Norma Dela Cruz, who own Norma’s Hardware and General Merchandise, are now the subject of a search by creditors after the couple could no longer be found at their residence in Barangay San Geronimo here while their business ventures, which include a hardware store, a supermarket and a palay and corn trading station, have already been closed down since last week.
The company has been linked to the controversial purchase of more than 100,000 bags of cement by the provincial government in 2007, which the Commission on Audit declared as anomalous for not having been subjected to public biddings.
No vice gov in N. Vizcaya as execs leave for abroad
BAYOMBONG, Nueva Vizcaya–This province may be operating without a vice governor for the next two weeks as its top officials leave for a foreign travel to Spain leaving a trail of confusion among designated caretakers at the provincial capitol.
Acting governor Edgardo Balgos, the senior provincial board member, on Tuesday issued a memorandum designating as vice governor “the one qualified” among the members of the Sangguniang Panlalawigan, saying he had no legal basis to name a temporary occupant of the post.
“This is a new scenario for us. I myself am not sure who I should designate as vice governor,” said Balgos, who was tasked as acting governor in lieu of Gov. Luisa Cuaresma.