From the Philippine Daily Inquirer, September 29, 2012
BAMBANG, Nueva Vizcaya—The authenticity of a P1-million drainage canal project, which has been the subject of complaints from residents here, has been challenged by documents that suggest that it was charged against two separate government allocations.
Nueva Vizcaya Rep. Carlos Padilla and officials of the Department of Public Works and Highways had earlier announced that the project in Banggot village here was financed by the lawmaker’s 2011 priority development assistance fund (PDAF). But DPWH records also showed that it was charged against the DPWH’s regular funding for 2011.
Documents obtained by the Inquirer reveal that the construction of the drainage canal, as well as three other projects, was included in a P4-million special allotment release order (Saro) that was charged against the agency’s 2011 fund classified as Various Infrastructure including Local Projects (VILP).
BAYOMBONG, Nueva Vizcaya–People from various sectors of society in this province on Tuesday expressed shock and disgust over the tagging of a retired regional trial court judge here as the alleged brains behind the killing of a human rights lawyer more than two years ago.
Members of the public and private sector said they were appalled that police investigators took the word of a self-confessed killer that implicated former judge Jose Rosales for the June 2010 slay of lawyer Ernesto Salunat, Sr.
“The prosecutor’s office should not believe the statement of a self-confessed criminal and a hired killer who conveniently recants his statements. The honorable judge should be spared of this baseless accusations and a thorough investigation should be conducted,” said lawyer Dominica Dumangueng-Rosario, former provincial chapter president of the Integrated Bar of the Philippines.